Florida Long-Term Care Insurance
Long-term care insurance helps pay for the medical and nursing care for those with disabilities or chronic illnesses. It also helps pay for nursing home stays for the elderly. Ordinary health insurance and Medicare don't pay for these long-term expenses and Medicaid only pays if you've exhausted your savings or other assets.
The best time to buy a long-term care (LTC) policy is in middle-age. At that point, the chances of being eligible for coverage are greatest and the premium costs are lower. LTC coverage is a smart financial purchase, as it can help keep your from depleting your retirement savings too early.
Long-term care insurance is not cheap, and as a guideline, try to keep the premium to 7 percent of your income or less. When buying a LTC policy, keep in mind that the income used in the calculation is your retirement income, not your current income.
How to save on long-term care insurance in Florida
Buying long-term care coverage is a good decision, especially if you're young and healthy, and there are ways to reduce the cost of your policy.
- Buy a longer waiting period. Long-term care policies typically have a selectable waiting period until coverage kicks in. By purchasing a longer waiting period, 90 days instead of 30 days, you can reduct the premium substantially. Just make sure you have enough money to pay the expenses during the longer period.
- If you're married, buy a joint policy. The cost of one joint LTC policy versus two individual policies is lower. The policy will pay when either of you need coverage, and both if necessary, up to policy limits.
- Buy yourpolicy when you're younger. As stated earlier, long-term care policies are more expensive the older you are. By planning well in advance and buying a policy in your 40's or 50's, you can reduce the cost of your LTC policy substantially.
- Stay healthy! As with life insurance and health insurance, your insurability is a factor in buying LTC coverage. If you already have certain illnesses, you may not qualify for LTC coverage. So keep yourself in shape and get the lowest cost long-term coverage possible.
- Compare your options. There are many companies that offer long-term care insurance in Florida. By getting comparison quotes from several companies, you can make an informed buying decision and buy a policy that fits your needs and your budget.
Get Florida long-term care insurance quotes now!
Affordable Florida long-term care insurance is available from many insurance carriers. By pricing policies from different companies, you can help ensure you receive the lowest rate possible.
Compare multiple quotes from long-term care agents by completing one simple quote form. To begin, simply enter your Zip Code to the left and start your quote.